Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Layout and pathcheck at KY3  (Read 1169 times)
agent_k
SR Team
XFR

[SR] agent_k

« on: July 17, 2010, 04:29:31 AM UTC »

After doing a few laps with the FXR (and after inspecting the WR lap) I noticed that it is literally impossible to drive the same line and therefore time.  I haven't checked the other cars yet, but problems are with objects at the entry curb of the chicane and the pathcheck can make your lap invalid if you pull too close the pitwall before start/finish.  The T1 section is done nicely (you can hit the same line as WR there), those objects can make it visually harder to aim at the apex/curb of the following corner but other than that they don't "physically" hold back the same or similar pace/line as the WR holder.  The HLVC legal and confirmed WR lap doesn't have any of those obsticles, and I was wondering how "badly" that layout is needed in a hotlap compertition?

What are you opinions about this one?

Turkey
SR Admin
BF1

[SR] Turkey

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:34:28 AM UTC »

Well, I have watched a few laps and indeed the objects are stopping people from setting a HLVC valid lap. I have removed the layout from the server.

I have changed the path check time to 6 instead of 5. This will affect every lap on the server so we really cannot play around with this figure any more.

If there is a specific area that is stopping a valid lap then I guess we will have to fix that by editing the path file itself, which I have no idea how to do atm :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:48:28 AM UTC by Turkey » Logged

agent_k
SR Team
XFR

[SR] agent_k

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:48:04 AM UTC »

Thank you for removing the objects, I think it is the right decision since this is a hotlapping compertition and not a race, where a layout certainly is necessary there.   The pathfinding "seems" to be only problematic at the start/finish straight (nowhere else really) and I estimate it that not being able to pull the same "tight" line next to the pitwall does cost a bit of time, but probably not a full tenth, maybe 1 or 2/100.   

Boothy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:00 AM UTC »

The objects were enforcing the path check, and in the second part of the chicane, were enforcing the HLVC check, which were the same point.  If there was no layout, you would instead be complaining about the path check, which wouldn't let you cut all the green/sleeping policemen bits of the track.  The path was actually widened to allow going closer to the pitwall, but then that meant the chicane path check would allow you to cut, hence the layout.

The path check being 0.6s means that without the layout in the second part of the chicane, you can cut there more than you can in hotlap mode as you are going too fast for the server/airio to notice you are off the path for long enough - meaning lag can effectively influence whether or not you were on the path - a layout doesn't move.   If you want this to be HLVC (which is strange as most of the other rounds have ran to the path check and not HLVC, meaning dodgy lines at pit exits, plus more cutting than normal at AS3) then the path check should be removed and objects set at the extremities of the HLVC.

Also last time I checked, barriers/large tyres etc aren't used in racing unless you want carnage.  This is hotlapping yes, but to achieve a level playing field cutting shouldn't be allowed, and while we want it to be as close to hotlapping in single player as possible, you can't have that with wrong way driving, being able to hit objects, and going off the path if you lag a bit. 

But meh, whatever.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: